Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Nothin' Like It

The other night, Leighton was extremely tired by about 6:15. I try to avoid putting him down that early because I don't want to 'encourage' any more of an earlier wake time than he already has. (which is around 6:15/6:30)
So I walked around with him, tried reading him a book, he LOVES paper so I opened up some mail next to him and let him crinkle the envelopes but that only lasted for so long. He kept turning towards me to pick him up. (Which I secretly love - this neediness makes me feel loved!)
And then when I tried to give him his nuk, he turned his head and started to cry which usually means, "I'm hungry - I don't want that!"
So I got a bottle ready and brought him upstairs to feed him.
He was about 3/4's of the way through and dozed off, but woke up after I started to pull the bottle away and he finished. He usually fusses when he's done and watches where you put the bottle, but not this time. He looked up at me and then closed his eyes with his mouth hangin' open and fell asleep. I normally just get him and bounce around a little bit with him over my shoulder to try to get out any burps and then lay him down but last night I decided to just rock him for a bit.
I loved it.
Feeling his little head on my shoulder and touching my cheek, while he scrunched up his little legs so his butt was stickin' out...
There's nothing sweeter than holding him while he sleeps like that.
I just close my eyes and softly pat his back.
I was ready to sleep right there in the chair with him.

1 comment:

  1. I love that too! When Olivia falls asleep in my arms, sometimes I will just hold her rock in the chair with her. I just don't want to put her in her crib just yet. And with Brett gone, there's nothing better to do than just hold her and watch her sleep. It's pure bliss.

    ReplyDelete