Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ode To Belly Button

Dear little belly button,
oh how you’ve changed.
You once were all inside,
warm and nicely arranged.
*
I’ve watched you constantly morph,
through the weeks gone by.
Sometimes you look quite normal,
or you're puffed out on one side.
*
Your life sure has changed,
with the pressure from below.
But don’t worry little button,
I love to see you grow.
*
So as we reflect on times,
on being cute and tucked in.
We now take note of your new look,
Abstract, uneven, where do I begin?
*
Oh yes you may go back,
to be in your normal state.
But for now remember,
even sticking out--you look GREAT!
*
But I may try to hide you,
with tape and a bandaid or two.
But please forgive me when this happens,
it’s nothing personal, just … new?
*
And when Baby P arrives,
the pressure will disappear.
But also keep in mind--you’re a belly button,
you’ll always look weird.

9 comments:

  1. bahahaha! the english major in me is greatly impressed, the recently-preggers in me is greatly sympathetic, and the hind-sight-is-20/20 in me wonders why i never thought of using a bandaid to cover up!
    lyss, you are truly talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is awesome! Does that mean you're the proud new owner of an outie or that it's just around the corner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm the proud new owner of a flatty? HA! It seems to change every day. Sometimes it's even on the left side, sometimes it's up top, and sometimes it looks fairly "normal." But nothing sticking out yet. Just evening out. Jeff says it's disappearing. It kinda looks that way.. and how WIERD would a belly look without a belly button! yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As funny as that was I can't stop thinking how awesome of a writer you are!!! You are amazing at those....what are they poems or rhymes...give me a break, remember I'm prego too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy news - Angie's having a baby!? Wow, that's great, congrats! :)

    You are absolutely hilarious Alyssa, I'm cracking up! What an incredible writer, you've really got it! I love reading your blog, and your poems or rhymes or limericks too! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I remember my flatty. LOL! It still sticks out a little bit, even 8 months after giving birth. But then again, it stretched so bad during those last 3 weeks that it will never be 'normal' again. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok....am I the only normal person here.....you just wrote a poem about your belly button!! I think you're losing it! Seriously, are you ok? I am starting to worry about you....LMAO!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Normal? HA! There's no such thing. Sometimes ya just GOTTA HAVE FUN WITH LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to clarify for the people that read the comments that "Angie A" is NOT pregnant. LOL!!!!!!! The other "Angie" that comments on here is my friend's sister and she has a little boy. Just thought I'd clear that up :)

    ReplyDelete