Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I was afraid of this...

You know it's bad when your doctor gets done examining you (checking to see how far you're dilated) and she sits back and asks, "How big were you when you were born?"
Which quickly put thoughts into your mind of 'NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
But I answered with a laugh instead of a cry: "8 lb 3 oz"
Then her followup question was even better: "Has anyone ever mentioned the size your baby may be?"
Again, I laughed and said, "yes!"
Explained to her at the last ultrasound I had, we determined baby would be about 8 lb 5 oz from the measurements taken.
She snickered and agreed saying: "That sounds about right... it's not a small baby in there."
GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!
JUST what I wanted to hear.
My two girlfriends had little cuties at 7 lbs and then here's big ol' Pouliot weighing in at 8 pounds and however many ounces!!!!!!!!!!
*
We are now officially accepting donations of clothes, sizes 3-6 and 6-9 months 'cuz those newborn clothes and 0-3 months onesies may NOT be used much!
And now I'd like to thank my husband because on the day of delivery, I'm not sure I'll be doing much "thanking."
So thank you dear for being 9 lbs 7 oz, with a larger head and broad shoulders when you were born. It seems our child will take after you. Please remember this post as you may need to come back to it to remind you that I really do love you and that the terrible things I may shout or mumble during labor, will only be memories that hopefully you'll forget.

10 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Good luck. I'm glad I won't be there to witness your violence toward Jeff in the delivery room. LOL!
    But really, you'll be fine. My friend that has 2 kids, one at 7lb, one around 10, that she couldn't really tell the difference in the size when they were coming out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, where's your updated belly pick? And the room pics? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree...now I was all nummed up down there but I wouldn't have been able to tell if she were 7 or 10!!?? Start talking to her and imagining her popping out so quick and easy. Will yourself a great delivery, I promise it works! Who knows, these docs could all be wrong, there is no proof of size until she is born!! :) You'll do great!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a family thing.... I was 9 lbs 7 oz too... and Sam was 10 lbs 5 oz. So, blame Deb! (just kidding aunt Deb....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Hi Emily!!!! Yeah - I was trying to recall the weights of Jeff's brother and sister and I'm pretty sure they were both up there. Oh well. But you're all right. Either way, there will be pain. It's just a matter of baby Pouliot fitting into the OUTFIT I bring to the hospital! Perhaps the 'toga' look will have to do? hee hee! Can you imagine? A little baby toga?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I also remember my cousin's wife getting induced b/c they thought the baby was already 8lbs, but when she came out, she was only 6lbs! So yeah, dr's could be wrong, you never know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised you've gotten estimates. My Dr. wouldn't give one. He said there isn't much point. It's nearly impossible to determine birth weight until...well...birth. But...could be 9 or 10 lbs too....HA HA HA!!! KIDDING! :)

    BTW...are you able to have an epidural with your back? Man, I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kel: I know what you mean. The ultrasound tech made sure to tell me the measurements AREN'T ACCURATE for determining weight. so you're right, we won't know until birth! and as far as the epidural, I'm PLANNING on going drug-free but in the case I would change my mind after seeing I've removed skin from Jeff's arm, it all depends on the anesthesiologist that's there & whether or not they're comfortable doing one. So once again - WE HAVE SUSPENSE! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're gonna get some great street cred at any rate, right! LOL. I had bigger babies too - at least the full-term ones. The cheeks make it all worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Alyssa, you'll be fine! My medicated delivery was of a 7 pound baby and it was WAY worse on me physically than the natural delivery of my 8 pound 3 ounce baby! And trust me, an 8 pound baby will seem small when you hold it and will very likely still fit in small clothes (for how long after birth is another question!!)! These doctors and nurses see tiny, tiny babies, so when you have an 8 pound baby, they will tell you its so big. Your reality will be different.

    Now I can't say anything for a 9 pounder...

    Kimmay

    ReplyDelete