Tuesday, June 14, 2011

There's a "Name" for everything!

I'm transcribing today. I come across a delivery report (C-section) where the baby had "fetal macrosomia." I thought, 'hmm... what the heck is that?" So I look it up.

"Fetal macrosomia: Arbitrarily defined as a birth weight of more than 8 lb 13 oz; complicates more than 10 percent of pregnancies in the United States"

Leighton was 8 lbs 13 oz.

So now not ONLY are big babies "categorized," they're now given a 'conditional' name. HA! I love the medical world. I'm waiting for the syndrome they come up with because you have to blink. "Patient has blinkomia." Meaning: Blinks while talking.

Just wait and see. (no pun intended)

For now, me and my almost-Fetal-Macrosomia child are going to embrace his bigness and persist with continued cheek squeezing and smooching!!

2 comments:

  1. That is funny~ If you dissect the word: Macro=large
    Somnia=condition of

    So, by definition it means condition of being large. Ha! That's pretty funny.

    As for Leighton, he is perfect just the way he is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy the terms the medical profession comes up with. I think you should copyright the word and definition you came up with just in case it becomes a common term.

    I agree with La Hick Chick: Leighton is perfect just the way he is!

    Happy Father's Day to LT's Daddy.
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete